Sunday, April 24, 2005

IMBB #14: Orange Julius


How lovely for Foodgoat to announce this month's Is-My-Blog-Burning theme as orange. I, rather appropriately, chose to use both the color and the fruit in my entry.
I also chose to relive a childhood treat by making an Orange Julius at home.
An Orange Julius is a cold, frothy orange drink. It is thinner than a smoothy, but thicker and creamier than plain orange juice. It was invented in 1926 in California at an orange juice stand and, over the next 80 years, spread to malls across America. The secret to the original recipe was the addition of egg white, which made the drink very frothy. Nowadays, what with salmonella and all, Orange Julius is made with a secret, dairy-derrivative that makes it foamy. I'm guessing that it is some sort of powdered creamer.
The recipe I used is based on the original formula. It called for pasturised egg whites/egg substitute, but I chose to tempt fate and use an ordinary egg white. The results were wonderful, and I'm not saying that simply because I suffered no ill effects. Quite the contrary. I juiced some fresh oranges and the drink turned out to be frothy, creamy and very refreshing. It was also quite addictive. I would bump up the amount of ice next time to make it a bit slushier, but the taste was fabulous and just how I remembered it.
The recipe is from Top Secret Recipes. I believe that it is in one of his books, but it is also posted here on his website. I won't reprint it here, but I recommend it!
Thanks to Foodgoat and Ladygoat for picking a great theme for this month's event and finally motivating me to try this recipe!