Sunday, April 03, 2005

Alice Medrich's Cocoa Syrup


What combination could be more classic than vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce? Ok, I'm sure there are some, but this is one of the better ones.
Having recently acquired some Valrhona cocoa powder, I knew that it would be put to good use when I saw Alice Medrich's recipe for Cocoa Syrup in her book, Bittersweet. My immediate thoughts upon seeing recipe were of chocolate milk, hot chocolate and egg creams. I have so far done all of these things because I love this syrup. I also put it on marshmallows and bananas and into my coffee. I was about an inch from adding it to my oatmeal this morning. The syrup is not very thick, as are syrups made with cream or melted chocolate, but the chocolate flavor is intense. Rich and bittersweet - just the way I like it. And I like it so much I'm eating it by the spoonful.
And if you do want to use it as an ice cream topper, here's a preview of what you're in for:

Alice Medrich's Cocoa Syrup
¾ cup cocoa powder (I used Valrhona)
1 cup sugar
pinch salt (1/4 tsp)
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Whisk together cocoa, sugar and salt until well blended in medium saucepan. Add enough water to make a thick paste and incorporate all dry ingredients. Add remaining water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for two minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla if using.
Let cool and store in a jar or squeeze bottle in the fridge.