Thursday, January 20, 2005

Chai Spiced Oatmeal


In this month's issue of EatingWell - which is, by the way, a wonderful foodie magazine to check out - there was an article on mangos. Gorgeous, versatile, tasty and in season. The article was accompanied by several recipes offering suggestions on how to showcase this fruit in various dishes. One recipe in particular caught my eye: Chai Spiced Bread Pudding with Mango.
I've been thinking about making this since I first saw the recipe and so I was delighted to find my mango ripe this morning. Chai spices are delicious and the mango offers a smooth, cooling taste to counter their spiciness. Unfortunately, morning is not a great time for dessert. Let me qualify that statement: I'm all for eating leftover dessert in the morning, but I just can't justify cooking a dessert before 8am with the intention to consume it for breakfast.
So what could I do? I made oatmeal.
And put chai spices into it.
And topped it with mango.
And it was great.

I'm not giving specific amounts for the spices, as I doubt anyone wants to measure a handful of spices into their oatmeal in the morning. Here's how I made my (one serving) of:
Chai Spiced Oatmeal with Mango
oatmeal
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
dash of ginger
1/2 dash of cloves
1/2 dash cardamom
sprinkle of black pepper
1/3- 1/2 mango, in small chunks
Measure oatmeal into a microwave safe bowl and add appropriate amount of water. Add salt and spices.
Microwave according to oatmeal instructions.
Top with mango chunks and stir. Let stand for a minute or two; mango will become tender and juicy.
Sprinkle with a bit of sugar and top with milk, if desired.