Monday, November 15, 2004

Quick Snack: Cranberry Drop Scones



I remembered reading the recipe for "Cream Biscuits" in my new cookbook. They involve flour, baking powder, salt and cream, as I recall. This afternoon I felt like a little snack and thought back to the biscuit recipe.
"I have those things!" I thought.
I also thought these would go well with the specialty Egg Cream soda I spotted in the market the other day. I highly recommend getting a recipe or going to a diner where they serve Egg Creams if you've never had them before. I also recommend getting Chocolate Egg Creams, though the one I had was tasty!
Back on topic, my biscuits came out quite well and made for a nice snack.

Cream Biscuits/Scones
1/2 cup ap flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cream, half and half, etc.
handful of dried cranberries, raisins or currants (chocolate chips would work, too!).

Sift dry indredients into a bowl. Add milk and stir until almost combined. Add cherries and finish mixing until just combined. Divide dough into 4 rounds on parchment covered baking sheet.
Sprinkle with sugar just before baking.
Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes.

The result? I feel like many Americans would think of these as scones rather than biscuits. They tasted nice (especially with the cranberries!) but were more on the cakey side than the flaky side, but were not too dense. I would definately make these again since I know that they'll come out with any milk product from heavy cream to skim milk and a plain biscuit can take any add ins I have on hand.