Thursday, November 04, 2004

Cowboy Cookies!

I'm anticipating starting a weekend full of lovely baking. Parties and out of town guests - what better excuses? I think that the weather is also a good one. We've had a cold front moving through the area for the past two days, bringing rain and wind. I know I don't want to go outside in that weather. These are the cookies that I made today.

Cowboy Cookies
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c plain apple sauce
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
3/4 c white sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 c quick cooking oatmeal
1 c chocolate chips (I used Sees - mmm!)
1 c shredded sweetened coconut (unsweetened would be fine)
1/2 c chopped walnuts - see note below.

Cream softened butter with sugars. Add egg - mix well. Add extracts and applesauce. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, stir until almost combined - you want to still see flour! Add oats, chocolate chips, coconut (and nuts, though I only put them in the chocolate version this time) and stir until combined. Drop tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet w/ parchment paper and bake for about 20min at 375 deg. F.

I also made a chocolate version, where I omitted the almond extract and added 1/4 c of cocoa powder to the flour mixture. I also added 1/3 cup walnuts.