Monday, November 08, 2004

Chocolate Genoise

Saturday night I decided to prepare dessert to take to my friends. I knew that chocolate should be involved and I wanted something that would be hardy enough to spend the day in my car (for the record, it was quite chilly and gray, so the car was more like a poorly performing refrigerator than an oven). I also - and this was a personal preference after having made a chocolate souffle cake not too long ago - wanted something a bit light. So I settled on making a Chocolate Genoise, from a recipe of Joy of Baking. I love that site, by the way. The recipe for Peanut Butter cookies is excellent.
But I am digressing.
This is the first genoise I've made and while it was a tad overdone - my oven rack was too low so I had to extend the cooking time - the flavor and texture were great.
While it was cooling, I made a raspberry puree to use as a filling/topping. I wanted to drizzle the cake with coffee liquor and serve it with chocolate whipped cream, but I didn't have either of these as I prepared the cake and I doubted that whipped cream would keep terribly well in the car. Next time, I will do that, though. I split the cake two and filled it with half the puree, wrapped it up and took it with me.
Dinner was excellent - fresh rosemary sourdough bread with dipping oil, grilled chicken skewers with veggies and long grain rice, a bottle of shiraz, cake... To serve the cake, we topped each slice with more puree, though I should have let it soak in a bit to make up for the dryness.
It tasted excellent with the puree, nevertheless.