Saturday, November 06, 2004

The buns also rise

This morning was my first attempt at baking cinnamon buns from scratch - yeast and all. I approached the project with a cautious excitement, as it seemed simple from the recipe but I have had many people tell me that it is simply not worth the effort. Proving them wrong, I give you the final product:



Admittedly, I did cut them a bit thicker then they should have been, but only one bit in the center was slightly less than done due to uneveness in my oven.
I used a recipe from AllRecipes.com (I think it may have been for Overnight Cinnamon Rolls I?) and substituted fat free half and half and skim milk for the whole milk called for in the recipe. I also only used just under 1/4 cup of butter, because that was all I had on hand when I started to bake. Note to self: check fridge before cooking. I ended up putting a lovely cinnamon glaze on top just before we ate them and they were enjoyed by all.
I will definately be making more bread from scratch now that I have overcome my fear of using yeast.